Re: Can postgresql plan a query using multiple CPU cores?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can postgresql plan a query using multiple CPU cores?
Date: 2017-05-22 20:52:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Monday, May 22, 2017, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a letancy-sensitive legacy application, where the time consumed
> by query planning was always causing some headaches.
> Currently it is running on postgresql-8.4 - will postgresql-10 support
> generating plans using multiple CPU cores to reduce the time required
> to generate a single plan?

My understanding, from both list monitoring and the release notes, is that
query parallelization happens only during execution, not planning. A
single process is still responsible for evaluating all (possibly partial)
plans and picking the best one - flagging those plan steps that can
leverage parallelism for possible execution.

David J.