Re: There is an invalid value for cidr type in the "Table 8.22. cidr Type Input Examples"

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: wombatbuddy(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: There is an invalid value for cidr type in the "Table 8.22. cidr Type Input Examples"
Date: 2024-08-05 23:42:53
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mon, Aug 5, 2024 at 4:30 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> On the whole I'm inclined to do nothing here; these docs have to
> satisfy a number of requirements, and "every example should be
> copy-and-pasteable" doesn't seem like a good constraint to add.
> Another idea perhaps could be to remove enough digits from the
> example that it doesn't cause overwidth warnings in the PDF ---
> but I'm not sure that's feasible in a 3-column table. Or we
> could just drop this one example.

Another option, write:
"Same as input."
in the other two columns - so one doesn't have to look closely at some 30
characters of hex to prove to themselves the inputs and outputs are indeed
identical.

Would do it elsewhere for consistency - it also does make the case stand
out which I think is a plus and part of the point of the table.

David J.