Re: [BUGS] Where clause in pg_dump: need help

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Prashanth Adiyodi <Prashantha(at)celltick(dot)com>
Cc: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Where clause in pg_dump: need help
Date: 2016-07-11 01:33:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Prashanth Adiyodi <Prashantha(at)celltick(dot)com
> wrote:

> 1.- You have a backup with a series of tables which get inserted WITH a
> timestamp.
> Adi-The series of tables may or may not have timestamp

​Then I think you cannot do what you want using only built-in PostgreSQL
capabilities. Meta data
​about when a record was inserted and/or delete is not kept by the system.

I'm not familiar with the capabilities of logical replication so that may
provide an answer I am unaware of.

Otherwise the only thing that comes to mind is to stream WAL to an
intermediate server and then every so often (once a day) release to the
other server all WAL that accumulated during the previous period.

None of \copy, COPY (SQL), or pg_dump will get you what you want - the
persisted data doesn't contain the information you desired.

Alternatively, once a week (give or take) you could perform a base backup
of the DB. Stream all archive files somewhere and each day perform a
"point in time" recovery.

David J.