Re: UPPER() Function Not Working as Expected in PostgreSQL 12.5 Version

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Saraswat, Dhruv" <dhruv(dot)saraswat(at)thermofisher(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-sql(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Perumalla, Vijaya S(dot)" <Vijaya(dot)Perumalla(at)thermofisher(dot)com>, "AR, KarthikRaja" <karthikraja(dot)ar(at)thermofisher(dot)com>, "bhorhari, vikas" <vikas(dot)bhorhari(at)thermofisher(dot)com>, "SV, Sushanth" <sushanth(dot)sv(at)thermofisher(dot)com>, "Dahiya, Rohit" <rohit(dot)dahiya(at)thermofisher(dot)com>, "Thota, DurgaKumari" <Durga(dot)Kumari(at)thermofisher(dot)com>, "Venkatachalam, Sundarrajan" <Sundarrajan(dot)Venkatachalam(at)thermofisher(dot)com>, "Appandarajan, Vinoth" <vinoth(dot)a(at)thermofisher(dot)com>, "Barchhiha, Vaibhav" <vaibhav(dot)barchhiha(at)thermofisher(dot)com>, "Prajapati, Priya" <priya(dot)prajapati(at)thermofisher(dot)com>, "Kumar, Ravi" <ravi(dot)kumar(at)thermofisher(dot)com>, "Sarkar, Madhurima" <madhurima(dot)sarkar(at)thermofisher(dot)com>
Subject: Re: UPPER() Function Not Working as Expected in PostgreSQL 12.5 Version
Date: 2021-07-08 16:10:24
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 2:26 AM Saraswat, Dhruv <
dhruv(dot)saraswat(at)thermofisher(dot)com> wrote:

> *Long Version –*
>
> We have a table in which 1 of the columns is called ‘name’ with a datatype
> of ‘name’. This column stores username values, for example ==>
> dhruv(dot)saraswat(at)thermofisher(dot)com

I unfortunately don't know the answer to your primary query but you are
definitely misusing the "name" datatype. An email address should be stored
using text. In fact, per the documentation, user schemas should not use
the "name" type for any reason.

In furtherance of diagnosing the observed problem, though, showing the
explain analyze plans from the two systems would be helpful - mostly in
trying to figure out whether indexes use is a differentiating factor.
Being able to get rid of the table altogether would be a nice bonus -
construct cases with working and non-working values (lower and upper
results) looking for observed differences.

In short, though, while their may be a bug here, and we'd like to know, the
suggested course of action for you is to fix your schema to use the
documented text data type and get rid of the effectively undocumented
"name".

David J.