Re: pg_restore schema dump to schema with different name

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nagaraj Raj <nagaraj(dot)sf(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore schema dump to schema with different name
Date: 2021-08-24 14:55:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 2:46 AM Nagaraj Raj <nagaraj(dot)sf(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Currently this is not something can do. this functionality is there in
> oracle.
>
> Is this future considering to add? (it would really help for create any
> test schemas without disturbing current schema. )

I find this to be not all that useful. Current practice is to avoid
relying on search_path and, in general, to schema-qualify object references
(yes, attaching a local SET search_path to a function works, not sure how
it would play out in this context). Performing a dependency and contextual
rename of one schema name to another is challenging given all of that, and
impossible if the schema name is hard-coded into a function body.

I won't say we wouldn't accept such a patch, but as this isn't exactly a
new problem or realization, and the feature doesn't presently exist, that
for whatever reasons individuals may have no one has chosen to volunteer or
fund such development. I don't even remember seeing a proposal in the past
5 or so years.

David J.