Re: Insert image into bytea question

From: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Insert image into bytea question
Date: 2014-05-02 01:39:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Ok, very good, thanks to everyone who replied! I was hoping to see a
> methos within PostgreSQL itself (via INSERT or something), but I can test
> out a method using PHP instead, since that's the ultimate destination,
> anyhow.

​Not sure how you expected to be able to issue an INSERT w/o some kind of
client interface. If you need to do this via "psql" (i.e. the official
PostgreSQL client) there are ways - though I am not that familiar with
them. Typically I'd store the data into a file then do something like:

\set variable_name `cat filename.ext`
INSERT INTO tbl (col) VALUES (func_if_needed(:'variable_name'));

In which case you might or might not find it easier to use some text
intermediary in order to avoid difficulty with "cat".

However, I assumed you were using something like PHP or Java and that you
would most likely want to have any solution be within the same framework...

​David J.