Re: Missed information about clientname=CN option

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "konkove(at)gmail(dot)com" <konkove(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Missed information about clientname=CN option
Date: 2024-02-01 07:35:34
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wednesday, January 31, 2024, PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/auth-cert.html
>
> Hello.
>
> This page missed information about supported clientname=CN/DN option and
> describes only `map` option.
> Also `clientcert` is described not in format. I expect it was documented
> under `map` as next list item of supported options

The description for pg_hba.conf auth-options covers this. Since those two
options do not only apply to cert but any hostssl entry it was chosen to
document the ssl related options on the pg_hba.conf page. I do see value
in pointing the reader back to that location from the cert page though. Or
maybe move the wording to the cert page and replace the content in
pg_hba.conf with a link to there. Leaning toward the later ATM.

David J.