Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Wen Yi <wen-yi(at)qq(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <jim(dot)nasby(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column
Date: 2024-05-14 16:28:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 9:03 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 3:06 AM Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
> wrote:
> > As for the Login column and its values.
> > I'm not sure about using "Can" instead of "yes" to represent true.
> > In other psql commands, boolean values are always shown as yes/no.
> > NULL instead of false might be possible, but I'd rather check if this
> approach
> > has been used elsewhere. I prefer consistency everywhere.
>
> I don't think we can use "Can" to mean "yes". That's going to be
> really confusing.

Agreed

> If I see that the connection limit is labelled as (irrelevant)
> I don't know why it's labelled that way and, if it were me, I'd likely
> end up looking at the source code to figure out why it's showing it
> that way.

Or we'd document what we've done and users that don't want to go looking at
source code can just read our specification.

> I think we should go back to the v4 version of this patch, minus the
> (ignored) stuff.

Agreed, I'm past the point of wanting to have this behave more
intelligently rather than a way for people to avoid having to go write a
catalog using query themselves.

David J.