Re: Control PhoneNumber Via SQL

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: tango ward <tangoward15(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "raf(at)raf(dot)org" <raf(at)raf(dot)org>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Control PhoneNumber Via SQL
Date: 2018-05-16 03:04:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tuesday, May 15, 2018, tango ward <tangoward15(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Sorry for bumping this email.
>
> I would just like to clarify regarding regexp_replace:
>
> WHEN mobilenumber ~'^9[0-9]' AND LENGTH(mobilenumber) = 10
> THEN regexp_replace(mobilenumber, '', '+63')
>
> If the pattern is empty '', does this mean that the replacement_string
> param will be added to the value of source? It does what I want it to do
> but I am not sure if that's always the case if pattern param is empty.

If you could bottom-post like the rest of us that would be helpful.

While that seems to work it is definitely obscure. You should just use
concatenation.

’+63' || mobilenumber

The pattern is a zero-length string, matched once, which first matches the
start of the input text. Not sure what happens when the input is the empty
string...

David J.