Re: odd buildfarm failure - "pg_ctl: control file appears to be corrupt"

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, "Anton A(dot) Melnikov" <aamelnikov(at)inbox(dot)ru>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: odd buildfarm failure - "pg_ctl: control file appears to be corrupt"
Date: 2023-10-17 18:04:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 10:50 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Life would be a lot easier here if we could get rid of the low-level
> backup API and just have pg_basebackup DTWT, but that seems like a
> completely non-viable proposal.

Yeah, my contribution to this area [1] is focusing on the API because I
figured we've provided it and should do our best to have it do as much as
possible for the dba or third-parties that build tooling on top of it.

I kinda think that adding a pg_backup_metadata directory that
pg_backup_start|stop can use may help here. I'm wondering whether those
functions provide enough control guarantees that pg_control's
"in_backup=true|false" flag proposed in that thread is reliable enough when
copied to the root directory in the backup. I kinda feel that so long as
the flag is reliable it should be possible for the signal file processing
code to implement whatever protocol we need.

David J.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAKFQuwbpz4s8XP_%2BKhsif2eFaC78wpTbNbevUYBmjq-UCeNL7Q%40mail.gmail.com