Re: Syntax for changing owner on sequence is not correct

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tarik Dolovac <tarik(dot)dolovac(dot)sa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Syntax for changing owner on sequence is not correct
Date: 2017-08-24 18:51:59
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Tarik Dolovac <tarik(dot)dolovac(dot)sa(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> I am just telling you that in your officiall documentation i didn't find
> that command.

​What command? Both OWNED BY and OWNER TO are parts of the ALTER SEQUENCE
command and written and described on the page you were reading when you
​filled out the form.

Note that our current release is 9.5 with 10.0 in beta. Our search results
have a tendency to show old versions (you were reading 8.4) so ensuring
that you are on current stuff helps.

I founded oj stack owerflow and when i changed command I succesfully
> changed owner. Also one more hit: documentation will be much better with
> examples. I am DBA for a 7 years on ms sql and oracle and they have
> examples which can make life more easily if you are starting with some new
> tehnologies like postgres.

​Personally I tend to find well written prose and syntax specifications to
be sufficient but I don't doubt that examples are helpful. For better and
worse this is a freely available open-source product. We don't have a
mandate that every feature have 6 examples documented for its use. The
volume of questions raised about ALTER SEQUENCE is so low that the
motivation to dream up and add new examples just isn't there. If a patch
was submitted, though, it would likely be committed.

David J.