Re: Limiting the no. of logs file generated by postgreSQL

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: merina ghoghwani <merinaghoghwani(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Limiting the no. of logs file generated by postgreSQL
Date: 2018-02-15 14:58:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 4:54 AM, merina ghoghwani <merinaghoghwani(at)gmail(dot)com
> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am currently using PostgreSQL 9.4.5.

​Not that it changes the answer here but you are considerably out-of-date
and should upgrade to 9.4.16 as the earliest opportunity.

> What I've observed is,
> 1. I get a new file after every 10 Mins or when I restart the service or
> logs size is over 10KB.
>
> But, it doesn't solve my problem to reduce the size of postgres logs, as
> the file is not rotated, but a new is created every time.
>
> Is there any way I can rotate the files or restrict number to, say max 5
> files
> like,

​The docs cover what can and cannot be done. My reading indicates that
what you described cannot be done - since you want to key off of size
instead of time.

My conclusion is that you need to turn over log file management to an
external utility - syslog, logrotate, etc..., that provides the feature you
desire.

David J.