Re: Should we document how column DEFAULT expressions work?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should we document how column DEFAULT expressions work?
Date: 2024-07-01 00:15:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 30, 2024 at 4:55 PM David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I'd like to know what led someone down the path of doing something
> like DEFAULT 'now()'::timestamp in a CREATE TABLE. Could it be a
> faulty migration tool that created these and people copy them thinking
> it's a legitimate syntax?

My thought process on this used to be: Provide a text string of the
expression that is then stored within the catalog and eval'd during
runtime. If the only thing you are providing is a single literal and not
some compound expression it isn't that obvious that you are supposed to
provide an unquoted expression - which feels like it should be immediately
evaluated - versus something that is a constant. Kinda like dynamic SQL.

David J.