Bug in UPDATE statement

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Moisés Limón <neomega(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Bug in UPDATE statement
Date: 2022-09-10 14:43:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Friday, September 9, 2022, Moisés Limón <neomega(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> PostgreSQL 14.4 compiled by Visual C++ build 1914, 64 bit
>

> A bug was found in the UPDATE statement when the WHERE condition hasn't
> valid fields and only one valid field, the changes are applied for all rows.
>
> Error detected using a Function with an UPDATE statement.

This is only a bug in the code you wrote, not a bug in PostgreSQL. The
code doesn’t error because it is valid.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FAQ#Why_doesn.27t_
PostgreSQL_report_a_column_not_found_error_when_using_
the_wrong_name_in_a_subquery.3F

(Yes, I’m assuming the problem here because you’ve filed a crappy bug
report about a query bug without providing a query).

David J.