Re: BUG #14268: NULL parameter conversion

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jordan Gigov <coladict(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #14268: NULL parameter conversion
Date: 2016-07-28 20:36:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

​Please don't top-post.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 4:16 PM, Jordan Gigov <coladict(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I don't see how that helps your argument that NULLs shouldn't be
> convertible.

​Your previous response didn't help your argument that they should be
convertible.​

​NULLs aren't convertible - and while you can argue for a better policy
this one isn't wrong - I don't actually need to make arguments supporting
that fact. The underlying point, though, is the ability for types to be
converted between one another is a property of the type itself and not any
specific value that type may take on.

In any case - if you wish to turn this into a discussion I'd recommend
putting together a more detailed argument and posting in on
pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org

David J.