Re: the concept of a database cluster

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Paul Weiss <libcub(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: the concept of a database cluster
Date: 2020-01-04 16:11:56
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Saturday, January 4, 2020, Paul Weiss <libcub(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I am confused. It is clear that there are
> two concepts here, sharing a term. I was trying to communicate that the
> manual does not always make it immediately clear from context which concept
> is meant in a particular sentence.
>
> A garage is a good analogy. A garage is a container for cars rather than a
> collection of cars. You wouldn't say "I sold my garage" to mean "I sold my
> car collection". Containers and collections are different things.
>
> Here's a simple example In our context: "remove the cluster" could mean
> "delete the folder containing the databases", or "drop the databases".
> Those actions are not identical. I would think we would want to be clear to
> our users which we mean.

I’m sure we’d be willing to fix concrete problematic examples but a lack of
those suggests there is no actual problem here...as you aren’t confused or
providing concrete examples and suggestions I have no idea what you are
trying to accomplish with this thread. Awareness of what seems to be a
non-existent issue?

David J.