Re: pg_basebackup with hostssl ?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laura Smith <n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp(at)protonmail(dot)ch>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, postgre <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup with hostssl ?
Date: 2022-02-02 16:51:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 9:37 AM Laura Smith <
n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp(at)protonmail(dot)ch> wrote:

> The point I am making is that pg_basebackup is connecting without
> encryption and I want to know how to tell it to use encryption. The docs
> are silent on the subject.

It is a client application that talks libpq. All of them understand a
common set of environment variables:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-envars.html

Many of those can also be supplied as part of the connection string. These
include SSL mode control.

The question I would ask is whether psql connects by default using ssl in
the same basic configuration. If so, then the inconsistency amounts to
pg_basebackup having an insecure default connection method while psql has a
secure one.

David J.