Re: Working with partition tables

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John Scalia <jayknowsunix(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Working with partition tables
Date: 2020-11-12 16:24:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 9:18 AM John Scalia <jayknowsunix(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Is there any way to remove the partition key, or do we simply need to
> create a new table with the structure we need, drop the old one, then
> rename the new one to that original name and reattach the partitions?

I'm not super familiar with partitioning but...you can probably do it in
the reverse order and avoid the rename. A partitioned table without
partitions seems useless so just drop it, then create a new one with the
same name with the correct defintion.

The documentation is indeed clear though you may be looking in the wrong
spot:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/ddl-partitioning.html
"It is not possible to turn a regular table into a partitioned table or
vice versa."

David J.