Re: A generated column cannot be part of a partition key

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Diego Stammerjohann <diegostammer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A generated column cannot be part of a partition key
Date: 2024-07-23 14:18:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tuesday, July 23, 2024, Diego Stammerjohann <diegostammer(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> So, for me, it would be good to have in some place the information that an
> IDENTITY column is not a GENERATED column. That's what caused confusion to
> me.

Yeah, 5.3 defines what generated columns are and does not include
identity. But nothing in Chapter 5 discusses identity which seems like a
bug if Chapter 5 is intended be the official reference for concepts. Maybe
we need to rename Defaults to also reference Identity?

We should point out in 5.3 that Identity is not “generated” and ensure that
we link to 5.3 when we use “generated column” elsewhere in the docs.

David J.