Re: xmlelement AND timestamps.

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Lynn Dobbs <lynn(dot)dobbs(at)creditlink(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: xmlelement AND timestamps.
Date: 2017-02-14 03:27:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 7:10 PM, David G. Johnston <
david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> XML itself is textual and we don't have any internal support for DTD or
> Schema as it is so I'm not sure what material benefit we gain by
> restraining ourselves here.

​This apparently isn't true - the XML output representations include
schema-verifiable namespaces and ​thus have a well-defined allowable set of
output values and formats. While not every use case may have or need these
at present their presence is embedded into the implementation - making any
desired change non-trivial to evaluate.

David J.