Re: [asking about how to upgrade docker postgresql without losing the data]

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Olivani Prisila <olivaniph(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [asking about how to upgrade docker postgresql without losing the data]
Date: 2017-10-10 14:52:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 4:25 AM, Olivani Prisila <olivaniph(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am beginner both of docker and postgresql.
>
> How do i upgrade docker postgresql 9.5 into 9.6 without losing my
> current database?
> fyi: im using ubuntu verison 14 and docker 17.09

​More of a Docker forum question than PostgreSQL. It depends on whether
you setup a distinct data container and/or mounted a host location into the
container to store the data. In that case you should be able to link that
external dependency into the new runtime container in the same manner as it
is linked into the existing one.

If the data is directly within the runtime container it will be
considerably more difficult - though pg_dump/pg_restore might prove easiest
to accomplish.

David J.