Re: EXPLAN redundant options

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: EXPLAN redundant options
Date: 2024-05-02 13:36:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 2, 2024 at 6:17 AM jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> explain (verbose, verbose off, analyze on, analyze off, analyze on)

I would just update this paragraph to note the last one wins behavior.

"When the option list is surrounded by parentheses, the options can be
written in any order. However, if options are repeated the last one listed
is used."

I have no desire to introduce breakage here. The implemented concept is
actually quite common. The inconsistency with COPY seems like a minor
point. It would influence my green field choice but not enough for
changing long-standing behavior.

David J.