Re: Failing example for to_number()

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Erwin Brandstetter <brsaweda(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Failing example for to_number()
Date: 2017-08-21 15:30:40
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 7:55 AM, Erwin Brandstetter <brsaweda(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On top of this (separate issue?) ',' and '.' are ***not*** interpreted
> according to the current LC_NUMERIC setting. I.e.: even with (example)
> Austrian locale, ',' still is interpreted as group separator and '.' still
> is the decimal point.
> It seems those just follow standard meaning without locale (C locale) -
> while 'D' and 'G' pattern symbols enforce locale specific format. It took
> me a while to untangle this and I suspect many people will fail to
> understand it.

​Table 9-26 on that page says "(uses locale)" for D and G, the user is left
to deduce that since comma and period do not have that qualifier that they
are not locale dependent.​

> I guess there should be some more explanation.

I don't really agree but I wouldn't discourage someone from submitting a
patch.

David J.