Native partitioning tablespace inheritance

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Keith Fiske <keith(dot)fiske(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Native partitioning tablespace inheritance
Date: 2018-04-12 19:24:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday, April 12, 2018, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 2:40 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
> <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com> wrote:
> > If there are no strong objections I am going to add this to the “Older
> Bugs”
> > section of Open Items in a little bit.
>
> I strongly object. This is not a bug. The TABLESPACE clause doing
> exactly what it was intended to do, which is determine where all of
> the storage associated with the partitioned table itself goes. It so
> happens that there is no storage, so now somebody would like to
> repurpose the same option to do something different.

The part about accepting an option that is basically invalid is reasonably
bug-like. Having tablespace and partition by clauses be mutually exclusive
would be worthy of fixing though it couldn't be back-patched.
Documentation is good but outright prevention is better.

If we can't agree on the future behavior we should at least prevent the
existing situation in v11. I'm doubting whether redefine behavior of the
existing option to anything other than an error would be acceptable.

David J.