Re: Value Too long varchar(100)

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rama Krishnan <raghuldrag(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Value Too long varchar(100)
Date: 2022-10-27 12:18:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 5:02 AM Rama Krishnan <raghuldrag(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> We are getting csv file from client to upload data in my db table , one
> particular column I. E clinet description column contains more than 100
> character hence I am getting value too long varchar (100) so we decided to
> upload db only first 100 characters. How to use this thing in copy command

You cannot. Either fix the content of the file or remove the arbitrary
length limitation on the field (i.e., change the type to "text"). I
suggest the later. You may also,copy into a temporary staging table that
lacks the limit, then use insert to move the transformed data (via a select
query) into the production table.

David J.