Re: BUG #18324: Duplicate value when I insert values in PK column

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "mael(dot)villat(at)gmail(dot)com" <mael(dot)villat(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #18324: Duplicate value when I insert values in PK column
Date: 2024-02-02 13:45:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Friday, February 2, 2024, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Bug reference: 18324
> Logged by: Mael Villat
> Email address: mael(dot)villat(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 16.1
> Operating system: Windows Server
>
> Most of the time we don't have this issue. And the sequence is correct
> (sequence = max id value). I'm sure that nobody insert manuel id.
> So I believe that there is a concurrency issue in postgresql server with
> the
> sequence when we insert a value.

Given that nearly everyone uses generated keys the lack of reports
regarding this issue reduces the believability that the bug is in the
server versus something related to your environment. It also means that a
test case that demonstrates the problem, required so it can be addressed,
more likely than not will need to come from you.

David J.