Re: inappropriate word 'victim'

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: devguy(dot)ca(at)gmail(dot)com, "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: inappropriate word 'victim'
Date: 2017-10-03 20:28:35
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 10/03/2017 12:38 PM, devguy(dot)ca(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>
>> The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:
>>
>> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/manage-ag-dropdb.html
>>
>> I am sure this would be reword
>>
>> &quot;...while connected to the victim database.&quot;
>>

> Victim seems to be an appropriate word for what is happening but I guess I
> can see an argument for "subject"
>
> "while connected to the subject database" or something else.

​My first inclination was "target" though I suppose its not that much
closer to the supposed neutral position on this subjective scale than
"victim"​.

Subject didn't sound right either (marginally). Maybe "named" - "...while
connected to the named database."

Given that, aside from 3 release note instances, we never use the word
"victim" in the docs leads me to want to change this if just for internal
consistency.

David J.