Re: BUG #14703: documentation bug:

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #14703: documentation bug:
Date: 2017-06-13 01:16:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 6:04 PM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> > Amazon RDS docs mentioning plv8 support:
> > http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/
> CHAP_PostgreSQL.html
> >
> > This is important for business approvers signing off on using Postgres,
> who
> > expect to see Javascript support, and need more 'social proof' than
> Amazon
> > AWS documentation.
>
> But there is no way to be sure if the version shipped with RDS has
> been modified or not, or if there are restrictions applying to it so
> it is hard to believe that the *actual* upstream code is supported and
> if that's what is being used or not. The core Postgres engine has for
> example a set of custom patches applied on top of it.

I'm not sure how to interpret this followup...the original point being made
is that we seem to have a documentation oversight and someone wanting to
point out to non-technical people that PostgreSQL supports the pl/v8
language would not be able to point to this section of our documentation in
order to do so.

The secondary reasoning is a bit circular since non-techies probably don't
care too much about the fact that Amazon runs its own fork for RDS purposes
- and at the same time those same people wouldn't take Amazon's support for
pl/v8 to mean the underlying project supports it?

In any case I haven't seen any posts to general or hackers that would cause
me to question the validity of adding it to our documentation listing.

David J.