Re: Vacuum full: alternatives?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum full: alternatives?
Date: 2016-06-20 15:51:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday, June 20, 2016, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:

> On 6/20/2016 8:03 AM, Scott Mead wrote:
>

>> I believe that free space is only available to UPDATE, not INSERT.
>>

> incorrect. in fact, an update is performed identically to an INSERT +
> DELETE(old)

Except for heap-only-tuple optimization, right? We cannot build a HOT
chain if the user requests a delete separately since their is no longer an
association to trace from the old record.

I suspect this affects free space usage to some degree as well but I agree
and believe that the reclaimed space is not forbidden to be used (I
wouldn't rely on my word though and haven't tried to find relevant
documentation).

David J.