Re: Questions on use

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Questions on use
Date: 2016-12-28 16:10:12
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
wrote:

> PostgreSQL-9.6.1 and openjdk-8u91_b14 are installed on my Slackware-14.1
> system and I am trying to use schemaSpy_5.0.0.jar on a couple of databases.
> I have downloaded postgresql-9.4.1212.jre6.jar but cannot get schemaSpy to
> run.
>
> 1) Is the -9.4.1212 version of the driver compatible with postgres-9.6.1?
> If not, is there a working alternative?

​Should work. The 9.4 doesn't imply server compatability.

> 2) My databases are used by only me. All non-postgres-installed databases
> are owned by me so neither a username nor a password is required for me to
> access them. My login name is used by psql to allow me access. Is the lack
> of a password preventing the driver from functioning? If so, is there a way
> to inform it that no password is required here?

​The default for PostgreSQL is to listen on Unix sockets. JDBC doesn't
talk to Unix sockets - it only uses TCP/IP sockets. You need to configure
the database to listen on an IP address and port and point to that. You
also need to ensure pg_hba.conf and/or have a password on the user JDBC is
using (changing to "trust" might work).

David J.