Re: Transition relation clarification

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dull Bananas <dull(dot)bananas0(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transition relation clarification
Date: 2024-01-01 17:21:33
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mon, Jan 1, 2024 at 9:35 AM Dull Bananas <dull(dot)bananas0(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> The docs should mention that transition relations aren't automatically
> made available in functions called by the trigger function. This unknown
> behavior caused a lot of frustration for me.

Seems to fall into the "if it isn't documented it doesn't happen" category
of things that we simply choose not to clutter the documentation with.
Called functions don't inherit stuff from the caller. It is like
documenting a variable in the calling function isn't visible to the called
function. Admittedly at least with variables you can pass them via
arguments. The special trigger state is indeed available in the trigger
returning function when it is the function directly invoked by the trigger.

David J.