Re: COPY FROM

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: irvin(dot)solano(dot)ny(at)gmail(dot)com, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY FROM
Date: 2022-06-10 19:12:26
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 3:40 AM PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/sql-copy.html
>
> When copying a csv file into a table, ifthere is a string missing a double
> quote in the end, COPY will return an error saying the string is infinitely
> long. But placing quote '''' (quote and four single quotes) resolves the
> issue. The documentation does not explain why that mechanism would work,
> and instead refers to fixing the csv file.

You might want to explain this with examples. Even if what you are saying
works at face value it seems more likely accidental rather than something
we'd want to document. Or, it falls under "fixing the csv file" - the
details of which we are unlikely to try and describe.

David J.