Re: Analyze on Foreign Data Wrappers - clarification

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "box1805(at)gmail(dot)com" <box1805(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Analyze on Foreign Data Wrappers - clarification
Date: 2021-10-11 21:35:36
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Monday, October 11, 2021, PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Foreign tables are analyzed only when explicitly selected.
>
> 2. When I run the analyze command with the FDW table as a parameter

That

> Also, I am not clear if analyze is run on FDW tables when Automvacuum runs;
> does it run analyze on FDW tables by default.

Based on the prior item I would expect no. It would usually have
insufficient data to do otherwise.

I didn’t look hard but aside from this comment about analyze working on
foreign tables, if asked, I find no relevant “why” discussion regarding the
interaction of analyze and foreign tables in the documentation. Frankly,
I’m unsure why it even needs to work at all.

David J.