Re: data export has strange decimal values

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marc Fromm <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: data export has strange decimal values
Date: 2016-12-29 00:38:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Marc Fromm <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu> wrote:

> >> Yeah if OP wants exact numbers he needs to use numeric type.
>
> I see, numeric is the type. Not sure why documentation mentions decimal,
> yet in phpPgAdmin it doesn’t provide decimal as an option for type.

​I'm not personally against the policy of choosing one item out of set of
aliases. My perception is that numeric is by far the more common choice of
the two SQL standard ​arbitrary precision numbers. Given people multiple
options just begs them to ponder how they might be different.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/datatype-numeric.html#DATATYPE-NUMERIC-DECIMAL

"The types decimal and numeric are equivalent. Both types are part of the
SQL standard."

David J.