Re: BUG #13938: CAST error on Index "function must be immutable"

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kurt Weiß <kurt(at)kwnet(dot)at>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #13938: CAST error on Index "function must be immutable"
Date: 2016-02-15 17:10:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 1:58 AM, Kurt Weiß <kurt(at)kwnet(dot)at> wrote:

> but the workaround is running well and get's rated as "IMMUTABLE" though
> returning timestamp and interval...
> So maybe the allowness for setting the function in the workaround to
> immutable will be the bug?

​That may be the case but teaching PostgreSQL to understand functions to
that degree is extremely challenging and of marginal benefit. If we ever
did get that far the user-specification of volatility would just go away -
but as things stand now you need to be truthful and help the system
understand what level of volatility your function requires.

David J.