Re: documentation structure

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: documentation structure
Date: 2024-04-05 16:14:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 9:01 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > The rendering can be adjusted to some degree, but then we also need to
> > make sure any new chunking makes sense in other chapters. (And it might
> > also change a bunch of externally known HTML links.)
>
> I looked into this and I'm unclear how much customization is possible.

Here is a link to my attempt at this a couple of years ago. It basically
"abuses" refentry.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAKFQuwaVm%3D6d_sw9Wrp4cdSm5_k%3D8ZVx0--v2v4BH4KnJtqXqg%40mail.gmail.com

I never did dive into the man page or PDF dynamics of this
particular change but it seemed to solve HTML pagination without negative
consequences and with minimal risk of unintended consequences since only
the markup on the pages we want to alter is changed, not global
configuration.

David J.