Re: RowDescription for a function does not include table OID

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Maxwell Dreytser <Maxwell(dot)Dreytser(at)assistek(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RowDescription for a function does not include table OID
Date: 2024-06-21 15:52:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

On Fri, Jun 21, 2024 at 8:41 AM Maxwell Dreytser <
Maxwell(dot)Dreytser(at)assistek(dot)com> wrote:

> On Friday, June 21, 2024 11:28 AM David G. Johnston <
> david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > In short, the system doesn't generate the information you need, where
> you need it, to tie these pieces together. Modifying existing elements of
> the backend protocol is not presently in the cards.
>
> From my perspective this is clearly a bug as there is no way to define a
> function in a way that provides enough data to the reader.

Quick search turned up this prior thread:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/19323.1245720832%40sss.pgh.pa.us

Based upon that unargued point the only bug here is in the documentation,
leaving the reader to assume that some effort will be made to chain
together a function returns clause to a physical table through that table's
automatically-generated composite type. We don't and never will modify the
existing protocol message semantics in that respect.

David J.