Re: Pro et contra of preserving pg_proc oids during pg_upgrade

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nikita Malakhov <hukutoc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pro et contra of preserving pg_proc oids during pg_upgrade
Date: 2023-10-12 17:24:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 9:57 AM Nikita Malakhov <hukutoc(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Say, we have data processed by some user function and we want to keep
> reference to this function
> in our data.

Then you need to keep the user-visible identifier of said function
(schema+name+input argument types - you'd probably want to incorporate
version into the name) in your user-space code. Exposing runtime generated
oids to user-space is not something I can imagine the system supporting.
It goes against the very definition of "implementation detail" that
user-space code is not supposed to depend upon.

David J.