Re: Using PGTune - is it a good source for system configuration?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pól Ua Laoínecháin <linehanp(at)tcd(dot)ie>
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using PGTune - is it a good source for system configuration?
Date: 2021-09-01 16:45:25
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 9:20 AM Pól Ua Laoínecháin <linehanp(at)tcd(dot)ie> wrote:

> I used PGTune to obtain system configuration recommendations. I'm
> wondering if these can be taken as "gospel"

Not according to its "about" page...

https://pgtune.leopard.in.ua/#/about

or are there any caveats
> or "gotchas" to be aware of?
>

> # DB Type: mixed

But they are probably better than the generic defaults at least. The more
pertinent question is whether you are getting good enough performance for
the amount of effort spent or whether more effort, and customization to
your exact situation, is needed to get even better performance. Because
the standard caveat is that if you are not experimenting on production-like
workloads the suggestions and/or data you are seeing will not be tailored
to your production environment. It's nearly impossible to reduce the gap
to zero, but pgTune still leaves a pretty sizable gap (though whether that
matters depends, again, on the characteristics of the production
environment).

David J.