Re: Merge statement

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Boboc Cristi <bobocc(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Kirk Parker <khp(at)equatoria(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Merge statement
Date: 2022-11-17 19:21:03
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 12:06 PM Boboc Cristi <bobocc(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> I agree that your statement is true, but it is still not quite self
> sufficient.
>
> For the time being I have no idea how to make it easier to be understood.
> As I have said, for me it is a little confusing.
>
> I would pay attention to Kirk Parker <khp(at)equatoria(dot)us> idea: when_clause
> [ when_clause [...]] to indicate repetitions without commas and xyz [,
> xyz[, ...]] to indicate repetitions that require commas.

Please don't top-post. The convention here is inline and bottom posting.

The convention for the documentation is to display repetition the way it is
shown on this page. Having this page deviate from convention is
undesirable, as is changing the convention. 100% satisfaction is not a
goal - and as evidenced here the mailing lists are in place to handle rare
cases of reader confusion.

David J.