Re: how do i change the password for 'postgres' user

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gopi G <gopiputty(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how do i change the password for 'postgres' user
Date: 2018-02-25 05:34:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Friday, February 23, 2018, Gopi G <gopiputty(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I have postgres 9.2 running in AWS EC2 (aws linux) instance.
> I followed documentation and tried to do
>
> postgres=> ALTER USER Postgres WITH PASSWORD 'password';
>
> ERROR: must be superuser to alter replication users

Something is odd here besides using an out-of-support version of
PostgreSQL. I'm figuring that you'll have better luck asking your distro
packager (i.e., Amazon) directly. That said the best way to change
passwords with psql is the \password meta-command.

Most packages make the postgres user a superuser but apparently your distro
thinks differently and you need to learn from them how things work.

David J.