Re: control over database files

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aaron Gray <aaronngray(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: control over database files
Date: 2018-07-17 22:05:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018, Aaron Gray <aaronngray(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I am wanting to be able to have control over what files that ables are
> stored in. Basically I am looking to have literally tens of thousands of
> tables all of the same type and to be able to store these as separate files
> in a filing system.

At first glance your needs and what PostgreSQL provides are incompatible
but you can learn the details in the documentation.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/storage-file-layout.html

That said, you will likely find that the configuration variables that are
provided are sufficient to meet most needs and that actual control over
low-level details such as file and directory structure are something best
left to existing well written software such as PostgreSQL.

You might find that features such as row-level security and/or partitioning
(depending on why you need thousands of identical tables...) can either
reduce the need for them or make setting them up considerably easier,
respectively. IOW, starting with a higher level use case will produce more
useful responses.

David J.