Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <jim(dot)nasby(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column
Date: 2024-04-15 22:06:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 4:14 AM Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
wrote:

> 2. Tom's advise:
>
> Not sure it's worth worrying about
>
> Show real values for 'Valid until' and 'Connection limit' without any hints.

At this point I'm on board with retaining the \dr charter of simply being
an easy way to access the detail exposed in pg_roles with some display
formatting but without any attempt to convey how the system uses said
information. Without changing pg_roles. Our level of effort here, and
degree of dependence on superuser, doesn't seem to be bothering people
enough to push more radical changes here through and we have good
improvements that are being held up in the hope of possible perfection.

David J.