Re: Counting booleans in GROUP BY sections

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Farber <alexander(dot)farber(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Counting booleans in GROUP BY sections
Date: 2019-11-29 20:51:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 12:48 PM Alexander Farber <
alexander(dot)farber(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> if I remove GROUP BY mid, then I get the error:
>
> ERROR: 42803: column "words_moves.mid" must appear in the GROUP BY clause
> or be used in an aggregate function
> LINE 18: mid,
> ^
> LOCATION: check_ungrouped_columns_walker, parse_agg.c:1369

Yes, you need to decide whether you want to output GROUPS (in which case
any detail more specific than your desired group needs to be aggregated) or
NOT (in which case you can probably use WINDOW functions to accomplish your
goal - count(...) OVER (PARTITION BY <the level of grouping you desire
knowledge about - year month it seems in this case>))

David J.