Re: Is this a buggy behavior?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is this a buggy behavior?
Date: 2024-03-24 18:23:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Mar 24, 2024 at 11:14 AM Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at> wrote:

> It doesn't. Your statement
>
> > CREATE TABLE test1
> > (
> > c1 numeric NULL ,
> > c2 varchar(36) NOT NULL ,
> > CONSTRAINT test1_PK PRIMARY KEY (c1,c2)
> > ) ;
>
> creates the table with both columns being defined as NOT NULL:

The request is a warning when defining a multi-column table
constraint primary key if any of the columns comprising said PK are not
defined already to be NOT NULL.

Personally, green field at least, I find that to be reasonable. Especially
if we are altering catalog metadata to define the columns to be not null,
as opposed to say the case when a check constraint has a "col is not null"
condition that could never pass even though the column itself is null-able.

David J.