Re: maximum for auto_explain.log_min_duration doesn't seem to make sense

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Bloch <kev(at)codingthat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: maximum for auto_explain.log_min_duration doesn't seem to make sense
Date: 2018-02-23 19:02:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 11:34 AM, Kevin Bloch <kev(at)codingthat(dot)com> wrote:

> According to https://dba.stackexchange.com/a/198429/28774 , this setting
> maxes out at INT_MAX / 1000, but since it's never multiplied by 1000 or any
> other number, it seems it should perhaps just be INT_MAX

​I suspect that the counter to which that value is being compared also
wants to be an INT and if one checks for "val > INT_MAX" then val cannot be
restricted to an integer (and since we are capturing time we need some
unknown buffer).

As for the post question: What can I do if I want to log even
longer-running queries on a data warehouse?

The answer is "nothing special, anything running longer than the supplied
value will be logged". What you cannot do is choose not to log a subset of
queries that take longer INT_MAX/1,000 and less then infinity - once you
hit INT_MAX/1,000 you must log it.

David J.