Re: Query returns no rows in pg_basebackup cluster

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andrus <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query returns no rows in pg_basebackup cluster
Date: 2020-05-25 00:11:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 4:10 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 09:53:37AM +0300, Andrus wrote:
> > Backup in created in Windows from Linux server using pg_receivewal and
> pg_basebackup .
> > Can this backup used for PITR in Linux ?
>
> No. Physical copies need to be based on the same platform. If you
> wish to replicate a cluster without any platform, architecture or even
> not-too-many major version constraints, there is also logical
> replication available since v10.

Does the O/S that the client software runs on really affect this? I would
expect that you could store the offline files anywhere. As long as the
architecture your original server is on and the one you are restoring to
are the same the restored server should work. They are just bytes until a
server interprets them, no?

David J.