Re: BUG #17446: Suggest updating the section title "Building Indexes Concurrently"

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #17446: Suggest updating the section title "Building Indexes Concurrently"
Date: 2022-03-23 05:05:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 4:19 PM PG Bug reporting form <
noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Bug reference: 17446
> Logged by: Troy Frericks
> Email address: troy(at)frericks(dot)us
> PostgreSQL version: 10.17
> Operating system: Documentation suggestion, ambiguous
>

> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/sql-createindex.html#SQL-CREATEINDEX-CONCURRENTLY
>
> Suggest changing section title "Building Indexes Concurrently" to "Building
> Indexes Using the CONCURRENTLY Parameter" to eliminate any ambiguity.

That seems worse. If anything the title should answer the question
"Concurrent with What?". Right now one infers it means with other
read/write activity on the table - as opposed to, say, additional indexing
operations on different connections, which may or may not touch the same
tables. This is the concept of concurrency we want to refer to here - the
parameter has already been described above.

David J.