Re: Possible bug in psql 9.4.4

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Leonardo M(dot) Ramé <l(dot)rame(at)griensu(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Possible bug in psql 9.4.4
Date: 2016-02-26 19:51:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Leonardo M. Ramé <l(dot)rame(at)griensu(dot)com>
wrote:

> El 26/02/16 a las 15:59, Leonardo M. Ramé escribió:
>
>> It looks like psql 9.4.4 has a bug when trying to display table info
>> using \d tablename.
>>
>> On 9.4.2 that command displays Indexes, Constraints, Triggers, etc.
>> 9.4.4 only displays the table fields.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> Sorry, option \t (Tuples Only) must be off to display that info.

​This is surprising (to me).

​--tuples-only:
Turn off printing of column names and result row count footers, etc.

​I guess that falls under "etc." but still...

I always thought of it that while the \d command had to run queries to
obtain its data the output was basically a pre-defined screen that could be
influenced by adding a "+" to the command but it otherwise operated
independently of the other style-oriented commands. So, I could choose to
run my queries under whatever settings I desired but if I need to access
the data dictionary for help I wouldn't have to turn off tuples-only just
to see some additional info and then turn it back on when I run my query.

That said I do little interactive work with psql - I much prefer a non-CLI
application for ad-hoc work - ​so maybe linking the two has value. But to
me at least I am a bit surprised.

David J.