Re: BUG #17235: PQsendQuery (with two sql) after PQenterPipelineMode cause ERROR

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #17235: PQsendQuery (with two sql) after PQenterPipelineMode cause ERROR
Date: 2021-10-20 19:48:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
wrote:

> Hmm, this seems to get into too much detail for that particular spot.
> Also, this paragraph is there precisely to let the reader know they can
> use the pipeline mode with older server versions. I don't disagree with
> rewording the paragraph in a similar way to what you outline in the
> first two phrases (not exactly that though), but the third one you
> propose seems a bit out of place. Why not add a few words to
> PQsendQuery() doc blurb instead?

Kinda feel it should be mentioned generally as a limitation of the mode
just like not allowing sync calls. Specifically, in 34.5.1. I’m good with
34.5 not covering that specific point.

Whether or how to address the behavior of PQsendQuery in 34.5.1.1 to also
address its behavior due to this would be a further, independent, change.

David J.